According to the study, the fungus attacks dandelions and other weeds, but leaves grass alone. This could be the future in weed killing as chemical pesticides had been banned in Ontario since April 22, 2009.
The fungus, which is applied to the soil in a granular form, produces a toxin in the soil. This toxin attacks clover, chickweed and ragweed. It attacks the roots directly therefore making it an effective weed killer.
Lead researcher, Karen Bailey said that the fungus, phoma macrostoma, could be on the market in two years.
Health Canada has given its approval for use in turf grass and licensed by Scott's for bringing it into the market.
Researchers are now working on increasing production of the fungus in order to get it out to the public especially in areas like the GTA and the Durham Region. Many homeowners would benefit from non-chemical weed killers for the benefit of the environment and their own health.
Homeowners who want to have healthy looking lawns in the GTA and Durham Region should consider this product. However, it is best to consult a lawncare professional first for more information.
Monday, March 19, 2012
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Here are tips in choosing a snow removal company in the Uxbridge Area.
1. Talk to a minimum of 3 or 4 Snow Removal Companies before making a decision
2. Verify if the company has insurance. Do they have General liability insurance specifically covering snow removal operations?
3. How long have they been operating in the area?
4. Does the company have references in your area?
5. How do they communicate with their customers?
6. Do they have a back up in case of emergencies?
7. What type of equipment will they used?
8. Do they specify when the snow removal will occur?
9. Do they specify after how much snow has fallen before they will be out to remove it?
10. Is salting included and if not what is the cost of salting?
Once you have chosen a company that suits your needs, it is important to get everything in writing. Do not rely on verbal agreements. Keeping these tips in mind will help you choose the best snow removal company for your needs.